Monday, September 7, 2015

Moist Honey Cake Without Sugar



Extra moist and sweet, this honey cake is so flavorful and so easy to make. A great dessert for Rosh Hashanah or an irresistable snack cake!  Raw honey is much healthier than using sugar, which most of the honey cake recipes include and it isn't necessary for a sweet moist cake.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup organic butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup local or raw honey
  • 3 organic eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 2/3 cup organic Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup organic slivered almonds (optional)

Directions:

  1. Heat the oven to 325F. Grease a 10" bundt pan. Set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl add the butter and honey. Beat on low speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  3. Stir in the vanilla extract followed by the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Gently fold in the flour, baking soda and baking powder alternately with the greek yogurt.
  5. Add the almonds to the bottom of the pan at this time. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan.
  6. Bake the cake in preheated oven for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Remove the cake from the oven, leave to cool for about 30-35 minutes before inverting the pan and remove the cake.
  8. Cool completely on a wire rack.


Enjoy the holiday!  Happy Baking!

Laurel  xoxo



          11 comments:

          1. That's looks pretty good. I'm going to try it. Any idea what the carb value is on this? My cousin is always looking for desserts (sweets) he can have (he's diabetic). When we invite him for dinner, I always make a meal that's lower in carbs and try to include a sweet for him.

            ReplyDelete
          2. Hi Gracey! About 27% carbs for the honey. Much lower than sugar!

            ReplyDelete
          3. Thanks for that info. I'm going to try it, but maybe reduce the honey a bit and replace some with ground stevia. The less carbs I give him, the better for him. We'll see how it turns out :)

            ReplyDelete
          4. Amazing and so easy to make! Wish I could add a photo! Both my parents are diabetic! Dad is on insulin, so this cake is so effortless!!!

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Marisa, I'm so happy you liked this recipe! Thank you for your comment...I wish you could add a photo too!

              Delete
          5. I'd like to make this is 6" round pans, what would the baking time be?

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Hi Kati, I think you mean two 8" round pans as I've never heard of 6" round pans. The baking time would be approximately 30-35 minutes.

              Delete
          6. Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC. Bakeries In Maryland

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Thank you for your comment Shariq! I'm so glad that you found the recipe you were looking for on my blog. Take care, Lauren xoxo

              Delete
          7. Amazing cake7/5/19, 2:31 PM

            Delicious, Thanks for the recipe!

            ReplyDelete

          Please send your comments to Healthy Intuitions: